Saturday, November 6, 2010

Happy Birthday, Boone & Carly!

Our sweet angels were born on October 25, 2010. At 5 weeks and 1 day early we weren't expecting them for at least another week and a half (scheduled c-section). I went to the hospital at noon for my weekly NST... my blood pressure was elevated. After lying on my side for 2 1/2 hours I knew things weren't looking good... I called David. Blood pressures continued to be high.. stroke level... 180-215/90-115. By 6pm Dr. Bowie came by and told us that we were either going to be admitted for monitoring (if bp would come down) or he would deliver the babies that night. I knew in my heart that it was the end of the road... I was scared. He made the call to deliver them about 2 hours later.

Bradley Boone was born crying at 8:43pm and weighed 6 pounds 4 ounces, 18.5 inches long. David was able to snap a quick photo or two of him in the operating room.

Carly Grace was born at 8:44pm and weighed 5 pounds 7 ounces, 18 inches long. David was not able to get any photos of her right away because she was born quiet... the doctors immediately whisked her to their table for oxygen.

As Carly got the oxygen she needed, I heard my sweet girl cry. I wasn't aware until later of all the breathing complications they each had in the OR. Our pediatrician says they gave her quite the workout... just as one baby would stabilize, the other would take a negative turn and vice versa. It was clear that their lungs were not as developed as they needed to be to breathe on their own. Both babies were put on CPAP machines to aid in their efforts to breathe. Boone only needed his for about 24 hours before receiving regular oxygen in the nasal cannula, but Carly would need much more time to heal we would soon learn...


2 days before delivery
Boone with Dr. Bowie 8:43pm
Some moments just take your breath away..
Sweet baby

My precious Carly

No CPAP!!

This sweet angel is a fighter!

2 comments:

We are the Smith Family said...

What a blessing that these two are now home with their mama and daddy and BIG brother!!! God is sooo good!!!!

We are the Smith Family said...

Maddy weighed 6lbs and 4 oz also.....how funny...yet another bonding similarity!!!!

We were around the same time too....Thomas at 8:31 pm and Maddy at 8:35pm!!! Thomas was 5lbs and 14oz.....soooo close!! :) Kindred spirits!!!